Monday, August 9, 2010

I gotta admit...

Like most designers right out of school these days, I was a bit confused on what I should do next. I wanted to reach outside my supply box of teachers and fellow designers and talk to the heros. The ones that are doing what I see myself doing in 10 years.
I've admired Korn Design in Boston ever since I first laid eyes on their work. Not only are they located in Boston (one of the coolest cities in America) but they rock the restaurant and hospitality design world. When everyone else is looking for a HOW Prize or a Communication Arts ribbon, they went for the James Beard. (For those that don't know, James Beard Awards are about food, not design.) 

I really want a James Beard Award. 

Anyway, Javier Cortez is the Creative Director at Korn. He holds Office Hours every Wednesday to talk to anyone about anything design. I jumped at it. It was like winning a contest to meet your favorite celebrity. I was so gitty that morning. 
The one question I always ask is "What is your advice?" This question has lead to some of the best answers. For example-Robert Freeman was the most favored photographer for The Beatles in their time. He has shot everything from assignations to grumpy actors. When I asked him this question "What advice can you give us young photographers?" He automatically replies,
"Get a guitar."

Javier's advice had a different affect on me. One that only now I truly understand. His reply to my question was something like,
"Move to Boston and get a job at Macy's. Don't leave until you get the job you want in a place you belong. Don't do it for the money. It will only lead to trouble."

So what does any half decent designer do when they receive such a gem of advice?

They do just the opposite. Which was what I did.

Lots of embarrassing and scarring life lessons later, I'm back in my childhood home in North Carolina. It isn't Boston but it is a few states closer then Atlanta.

So I emailed Javier yesterday morning. Just letting him know that he was right and he should stick to his guns. (Not like he needed to hear that. That is more like I line I need to hear.) Also, to let you know that if anyone else out there needs some advice, his Office Hours are between 8-9 am on Wednesdays.




No comments:

Post a Comment