Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Incredible Marcus Nilsson and his nomination for PDN's 30




I cannot get enough of this guy's photography.  I really can't.  I stop by Marcus Nilsson's website every so often to get a glimpse of whatever he has new.  Nilsson's food photography captures food right in its elements.  Nothing fancy.  Food pure and simple like it should be.

PDN released my favorite issue of the lot, PDN's 30.  The editors sort through thousands of nominationed new talent to pick 30 of the best up and coming photographers.  This issue is great because it has lead me to some of my favorites, Nilsson included.  This year he nominated one of the winners but it doesn't say who.  
I have to say that I was extremely pleased with the winners this year.  No more over exposed Photoshop messes.  That is a trend of the past.  Most of the winners seem to be photojournalists or fine art photographers.  Only a few still lifers (my personal favorite).  I also noticed that many of these emerging stars are going back to the basics of natural lighting and black and white.  I even saw some polaroids featured!  This brings me hope that Photoshop are any other editing software will not take control of what a photographer sees through their lens.  Take part in the moment, not in what can be fixed up with levels and stamp tools.
My five favorites from this year's 30 are:

No comments:

Post a Comment